Adjustment of Status (green card)

The “adjustment of status” process allows aliens to obtain U.S. lawful permanent status by processing their request here in the United States, without having to travel abroad to their country of citizenship or residence to apply before a U.S Consulate. A noncitizen can obtain lawful permanent residence through adjustment of status either through USCIS or through the Immigration Court (if the noncitizen is in removal proceedings). In order to adjust status, the alien must meet all the eligibility criteria and overcome any grounds of inadmissibility. An alien can adjust status based on a family relationship to a U.S. citizen or lawful permanent resident or on the basis of employment.